Tamworth Music Festival Trip

February 9, 2017

Print Friendly

A blog of the group’s trip to the music festival at Tamworth as part of the Summer Holiday Adult Respite Partnership (SHARP) program.

Day 1 – Everyone arrived excited and ready to go. We set off on our first long drive stopping in Yea for some lunch before getting back on the road. After a few more rest breaks, we made it to Albury. Our accommodation was a big unique house with lots of quirky features making it an enjoyable stay. Lizzy can’t wait to be reunited with her new friend – Blackie the Cat

Day 2 – We set off on leg two – destination Orange. It was a quiet trip to begin with most falling asleep within the first hour. After a nap everyone was full of energy and ready for our lunch a pub meal in Young. Young was deceivingly big for a country town and is known as the cherry capital of Australia. Finally made it to Orange, the birth place of Banjo Patterson, found our accommodation and relaxed for the evening.

Day 3 – Off on our last long drive before hitting Tamworth. We drove through Wellington, the cave and lake country, where mountains meet rivers before stopping in Gulgong for lunch. After fighting off torrential rain and rocky roads we made it to Tamworth around 5pm. Everyone was excited and ready for some dancing. We kicked it off with Shannon Noll and the Wolfe Brothers including a surprise appearance by Lee Kernaghan. No one wanted to leave as they were having so much fun on the dance floor.

Day 4 – A much needed sleep in then we hit the pool to escape the heat before meeting all of our fellow campers and heading into town. We got our bearings and decided on our next gig. It was a unanimous vote, Kasey Chambers and Bernard Fanning. Arriving early to beat the queue and get a good spot on the dance floor certainly paid off.  Before we knew it security were escorting us into the function room to see Kasey Chambers do her sound check and rehearsal before the door opened. We also got front row seats allowing us to sit, stand, or dance without missing a beat.

Day 5 – We set off to have our photo with the Big Guitar luckily arriving at the right place and the right time. The one and only Lee Kernaghan had also arrived and was more than happy to have a photo with us. Next stop was up scenic road to Endeavour Park for some aerial shots of the town. At the top of the mountain we met an American man, who we knew only as Tyler. Next it was off to explore the live music scene of Peel St. With buskers on every street corner we got a wholesome vibe of the festival. The evening took us in two directions, some went to further explore the night life of Peel St and Bicentennial Park while the others went and saw Beccy Cole and Sister of Twang. Another great night had by all.

Day 6 – Another morning in the pool to escape the heat and enjoy some down time, then back to the main drag for some free shows at FanZone. Excitement was high  about seeing Tyler Hudson from the X-Factor – little did we know it was the same Tyler we had met yesterday on top of the mountain. After his set he came out to say hello, sign some CD’s, have photos and chat to the gang. He’d also recognised us from the day before and was excited to see some familiar faces. Dinner on Peel St, before heading back to the caravan park to relax with our fellow campers and listen to the local artists playing on stage right at our doorstep.

Day 7 – Headed off early to try to beat the heat, we decided to take a different route home to see some different small towns. It was rather hot, a whopping 40 degrees therefore a lot of time was spent in the air conditioned bus. With everyone needing a quiet night we had, dinner, watched a movie and had a relaxed night.

Day 8 – Once again a long drive was on the agenda for today. We took our time having lots of rest stops, leg stretches and just going with the flow. It was more of a scenic drive today. We enjoyed a few sing-a-longs with everyone taking it in turns being DJ. Once in Albury we decided a pub meal was in order for our last night.

Day 9 – Everyone was up early and eager to get going. It was our last day and by this stage we were all ready for our own beds. We stopped in for lunch in Benalla, before heading back home to Ferntree Gully.

A great time was had by all!

by Emma Kay

<< Previous Story

Next Story >>

Get Involved


Subscribe to the IOE eNewsletter



Subscribe to the IOE eNewsletter

Copyright © 2016 All Rights Reserved Interchange Outer East